While people often assume that self care is something you do independently of others, many do not realize that some of the best forms of self care can be done with a best friend!
As humans, we’re social beings (even if we’re introverts), which means doing things with a friend or two is significantly more fun.
Even more, incorporating a friend into your self care routine can make it easier to maintain a self care regimen. Self care should come naturally, but let's be real: Incorporating self care can be taxing when there are so many other stressors and responsibilities to manage. As our to-do lists stack up, we fall further and further down the list. By inviting a friend to join you in practicing self care, you’ll be more likely to actually stick to your plan, as you'll have someone to hold you accountable when you put something else ahead of you.
Here are our top 10 ideas to do with a best friend:
- Get your nails done. This is the classic girls get together, so of course it’s at the top of our list. It’s a really small activity that can instantly lift your spirits and your physical well-being. Pro-tip: find a salon that gives you champagne or coffee while you get your nails done.
- Make Saturday or Sunday morning brunch together. Reality is that if you go out to your normal brunch spot, you’re going to spend a ton of money. Breakfast and brunch is one of the easiest meals to make and perfect, and there’s so much variety. Choose all your favorite dishes and make a feast. And best of all, eat it.
- Binge an entire tv show. There’s SO MUCH good television, and sometimes what you need is a full day on the couch. May we recommend a few of our favorite shows with women as leads? Jane the Virgin, Grace and Frankie, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Handmaid’s Tale, Insecure, Black-ish, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Now go on and binge. Hopefully with snacks.
- Learn to make a new cocktail. Like going out for brunch, getting cocktails can quickly become a very expensive night out. Instead, choose one of your favorites or something entirely new, shake it out, and pour it in the fancy glasses you never use. You’ll feel ultra glam.
- Explore new a neighborhood by foot or bike. Fred and Far is based in Los Angeles, so there are tons of neighborhoods we’ve never been to but are so cute and walkable! Make it a date to explore a new place rather than eating at the same dim sum place you go every week. You might find something new you love!
- Make a list of things you love about each other. Matter of fact is that we don’t celebrate one another enough. Make time in your day to just write down all the things that make your friend beautiful, special, and just absolutely perfect. Sometimes we need to hear and be reminded of how great we are.
- Make a homemade facial mask. Here’s another idea on the cheap. You can use household items that you have already to refresh your face and body. Plus, it’s super fun to look like green monsters together.
- Go to a zumba class. For most of us, zumba is our worst nightmare. Dancing and exercise coming together for 45 minutes. But here’s the thing, you don’t have to be great. You just have to get out there and move your body.
- Make vision boards together. This is your opportunity to get crafty! Take the afternoon to cut up all your old magazines and decide what you foresee for your futures. This can be a super transformative and eye-opening experience if you haven’t done one already. We’re firm believers that we manifest what we put out into the world.
- Play hooky and do whatever you want on your day off. Like high school, but better. Spend the whole day doing things you love together. You might feel really behind come Monday, but you’ll feel so happy in the moment.
And here’s a bonus idea! We love best friends that rock self love pinky rings. Join women worldwide and make a pinky promise to choose yourself on a daily basis. Get the Original Self Love Pinky Ring.